Today’s Sacramento Kings preview concludes the SBNation 2014-15 preview project over at CelticsBlog.com, where I covered all 30 NBA teams over the last three weeks. I had a lot of fun with it, thank you to all who took the time to read.
Here is a snippet:
X-FACTOR – Darren Collison
The Kings will be the fifth team Darren Collison will play for in his first six years in the NBA. While he has been a relatively good player that has had some outstanding stretches, teams have been reluctant to marry the idea of him as their long-term solution at point guard. The Kings will give him another shot at propelling his brand, and he has proven that he can handle a starting role.
Starting in 37 games in his rookie year, Collison put up 18.8 points and 9.1 assists per game, and last season he found himself as stepping into the same situation starting in place of an injured Chris Paul. Through 35 starts in 2013-14, Collison averaged 14.8 points and 5.3 assists per contest, stepping up big when the team needed him most.
If Collison can play the most consistent ball of his career, the Kings may have a chance of winning more games than people expect.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN 2014-15
The Kings are going to be fun to watch, but they will have a tough time making the playoffs out west. There is certainly a realistic scenario where they improve off of last season; despite losing a player as productive as Isiah Thomas, they are a deeper team. However, the Western Conference is stacked and in all likelihood, the Kings aren’t quite ready to make the jump back into the postseason.
At the same time, they have an excellent mix of young talent and it will be fun to watch them progress going forward. DeMarcus Cousins may very well break the barrier to become an All-Star, Rudy Gay isn’t too far off either and the backcourt should be interesting with a mix of four quality players that are different from one another.
Sacramento is likely to miss the playoffs for the ninth consecutive season, but they have a chance to get better and continue to head in the right direction.
5th – Pacific Division
14th – Western Conference
FULL ARTICLE – SACRAMENTO KINGS 2014-15 PREVIEW – CELTICSBLOG.COM
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
– Toronto Raptors 2014-15 Preview
– Phoenix Suns 2014-15 Preview
– Philadelphia 76ers 2014-15 Preview
– Los Angeles Lakers 2014-15 Preview
– New York Knicks 2014-15 Preview
– Los Angeles Clippers 2014-15 Preview
– Brooklyn Nets 2014-15 Preview
– Golden State Warriors 2014-15 Preview
– Boston Celtics 2014-15 Preview
– San Antonio Spurs 2014-15 Preview
– Washington Wizards 2014-15 Preview
– New Orleans Pelicans 2014-15 Preview
– Orlando Magic 2014-15 Preview
– Memphis Grizzlies 2014-15 Preview
– Miami Heat 2014-15 Preview
– Houston Rockets 2014-15 Preview
– Charlotte Hornets 2014-15 Preview
– Dallas Mavericks 2014-15 Preview
– Atlanta Hawks 2014-15 Preview
– Utah Jazz 2014-15 Preview
– Milwaukee Bucks 2014-15 Preview
– Portland Trail Blazers 2014-15 Preview
– Indiana Pacers 2014-15 Preview
– Oklahoma City Thunder 2014-15 Preview
– Detroit Pistons 2014-15 Preview
– Minnesota Timberwolves 2014-15 Preview
– Cleveland Cavaliers 2014-15 Preview
– Denver Nuggets 2014-15 Preview
– Chicago Bulls 2014-15 Preview